Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cramer vs Stewart: No Love Lost On Brawl Street


Did you get a chance to catch Jon Stewart tearing CNBC's Jim Cramer apart when Cramer put in a guest appearance on The Daily Show? He's a link to the YouTube clip. Poor old Jim was made to look like a corporate shill for the guys taking all the money. I loved it, but winced at times as Jon Stewart really wasn't too kind. Funny, but a little more strident than he usually is when he skewers these guys.

The last week saw Stewart pointedly slinging barbs at Cramer's network, CNBC, for being irresponsible and leading people to believe that the network should have shown better and more balanced coverage prior to the recent financial stock market meltdown. "I understand you want to make finance entertaining, but it's not a [expletive] game," Stewart said during the recorded interview. "When I watch that, I can't tell you how angry that makes me." That's sort of like what I was saying in my post about CNBC called Enough With CNBC's Bickering Banshees. As Jon Stewart concludes, the stock market is not a game, reporting on the stock market shouldn't be "jazzed up" for better entertainment value. I think it should be about imparting good, valuable information in a timely manner and not doing whatever is needed to goose the network's ratings.

Unfortunately Jim Cramer became the face in this dispute and tried to made some points, but Stewart was having no part of it. I'm not defending Cramer's "BU-Ya!" style of trying to LOUDLY convince people to buy, buy, buy, but Stewart should also be targeting the fatcats at AIG for their bloated bonus structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...